Working Session at World Justice Forum
In the framework of the World Justice Forum 2022, Global Compact Network Netherlands, VNO-NCW, and UN Global Compact organize a session called “How to Engage Business in Transforming Governance” that will be held on June 1st at 15:00-16:30 in Malietoren. We are going to explore the topic of Governance, having the SDG 16 Business Framework on Inspiring Transformational Governance in the core of an engaging discussion.
Sustainable Development Goal 16 is essential to the enabling environment — to foster responsible and sustainable business, build inclusive and stable societies, and achieve all 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) more broadly.
In 2021, UN Global Compact introduced the “SDG 16 Business Framework – Inspiring Transformational Governance”, a tool for businesses, developed by businesses. It presents the what, why and how of transformational governance through each target under SDG 16. While the principal responsibility for achieving these targets rests with governments, businesses have an important role to play in strengthening internal and external activities consistent with corporate purpose and stakeholder capitalism. It calls on businesses to be more accountable, ethical, inclusive, and transparent.
In this session, the participants will explore the topic of transformational governance and discuss:
● How can the private sector contribute to more just communities?
● How can governments and civil society use this Framework to engage with responsible business?
● What role can the legal profession play as a mobilizing force for Sustainable Development Goal 16?
● What can business do to engage in inclusive multilateralism and global cooperation?
● How can this Framework encourage and strengthen public-private partnerships at the local and national level?
Theme: Anti-Corruption and Open Government
Speakers: Jan Eijsbouts, Isabella D. Bunn, Michelle Breslauer, Marhijn Visser.