Food Loss on the Table: Collaborating to Reduce Food Loss in the Netherlands
About a third of all food produced globally is lost or wasted (not eaten), bringing with it negative impacts on the environment, global hunger and the economy. In the Netherlands, despite continued efforts to address the issue, the country was recently ranked 5th worst in the EU for food waste per capita. A third of food waste in the Netherlands is caused by households, while the rest occurs along the supply chain or at other destinations, like restaurants and grocery stores, according to data from Eurostat.
A reduction in food loss is urgently needed and would bring gains for every stakeholder involved in the food value chain, as well as for the planet thanks to a cut in greenhouse gas emissions.
This event brings together key stakeholders to discuss challenges and collaborative solutions to reduce food loss in the Netherlands through the entire value chain. It is organized in collaboration between Rabobank and the Global Compact Netherlands Network, through the Leadership Program – a team of ambitious changemakers dedicated to fighting food loss. The event is part of a larger initiative to reduce food loss, with the outcome of delivering policy recommendations and practical solutions for the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality and key stakeholders.
The event will include keynote speeches, presentations and a panel discussion with diverse stakeholders groups including those representing government, supermarkets, farmers and academia. The event will be interactive, with time allocated for networking drinks.
• Bas Rüter, Global Head Food Transitions at Rabobank
• Joris Baecke, Portfolio Manager Soil & Water at Netherlands Agricultural and Horticultural Association (LTO)
• Sabine Hiller, Head of Environment & Sustainability at Kraft Heinz
• Sally Hoffer, Manager for the Plant Agro Chains and Food Quality Department at the Dutch Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality (LNV)
• Sanne Stroosnijder, Program Manager of Food Loss and Waste Prevention at the Wageningen University
Please RVSP for the event by registering here. After registering you will receive an email confirmation and a calendar block.