Vacancy: Programme Manager
Position title: (Sr.) Programme Manager
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
We are looking for a driven and experienced, sustainability professional to join our team in the role of Programme Manager. A strategic thinker and a pragmatic “do-er” who can help to strengthen and amplify the UN Global Compact in The Netherlands and increase its impact.
The UN Global Compact Network Netherlands is a multi-stakeholder initiative connecting companies in the Netherlands to the United Nations Global Compact, the world’s largest responsible business initiative. Our mission is to promote corporate sustainability leadership to create a world we want to live and do business in, by inspiring ambition, enabling action, and collaborating to shape the business environment. There are over 300 organizations participating in our Network and we are growing rapidly.
The Programme Manager (PM) leads UN Global Compact Network Netherlands’ (UN GCNL) workstreams on corporate climate action, the SDGs, and sustainable finance, ensuring that all its activities deliver on the UN GCNL’s Strategic Pillars and Aims. They will (co-)design, implement, and manage projects, programmes, and campaigns. They liaise with key external stakeholders on these topics. The PM reports directly to the Executive Director.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone keen to join a growing purpose-led global organization related to the United Nations, working to make a difference both globally and locally.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Overarching responsibility for programmatic activities on climate action, including:
- The Climate Ambition Accelerator
- Our local Climate Action peer-learning group
- Organizing CEO events to boost SBTi commitments by companies in the Netherlands
- Active contribution to the UN Global Compact’s Climate and Environment Local Network Working Group
- Co-organizing the annual European Climate Action peer-learning conference
- Overarching responsibility for programmatic activities on SDGs, including:
- Overarching responsibility for programmatic activities on Sustainable Finance, including:
- Organizing activities to boost the number of our participants participating in the CFO Coalition for the SDGs
- The Sustainable Finance Accelerator (to be confirmed)
- Liaising with (potential) strategic partners, such as other local networks of the UN Global Compact, business associations, the Dutch Government, research and academic institutes, and relevant civil society organizations.
- Speaking and presenting on relevant sustainability topics at external events on behalf of the Network.
- Interact with the Global Office in New York on global developments both on topics as on the development of the Network worldwide
- Support colleagues and activities of the UN Global Compact Network Netherlands or additional projects, as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- At least 3 years’ professional working experience on corporate sustainability
- Demonstrable knowledge on at least one of the subject matters and willingness to develop the other topics: corporate climate action, the SDGs, sustainable finance
- Professional working experience in a company is preferred.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently but equally comfortable working in a diverse team environment and often under deadline pressure
- Excellent oral and written communication both in Dutch and English, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- An international outlook and mindset
- Team player: You can work both autonomously and as a reliable and collaborative teammate.
- Communication: Strong communication skills, including outstanding written and spoken English language skills. Ability to connect business questions and challenges to the UN Global Compact knowledge and programmes. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Structured & Organized: You are capable of managing multiple projects and workflows simultaneously, without losing an eye for detail.
- Self-motivated and proactive: You enjoy rolling up your sleeves and getting things done, you identify opportunities
- Impact driven: You know the key sustainability trends and topics and you are eager to personally contribute to the SDGs and UN Global Compact’s mission
- Networker: You thrive in non-hierarchical organizations and you build constructive relationships easily – both with our international colleagues and with our participants and external stakeholders.
- Respect for Diversity: Works effectively with people from all backgrounds; treats all people with dignity and respect.
WHAT DO WE OFFER
- The possibility to work part-time (30 -37,5 hrs) with flexible working hours ensuring a healthy work-life balance
- Salary depending on relevant experience (40-55 k EUR full time, including 13th-month payment and 8% holiday allowance)
- Flexible work arrangements
- Working with passionate colleagues in The Netherlands, and across the world
- Collaboration with sustainability champions in a range of industries and sectors
- Working for the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative
- Monthly contributions towards health and wellbeing, mobile and commuting to the office
- Our inspiring new office is in the Malietoren in The Hague next to CS station and parks.
UN Global Compact Network Netherlands believes an inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition, and are looking for candidates who contribute to our diverse team.
Please apply by sending a cover letter and CV that address the position summary, competencies and requirements, to the Executive Director, Merei Wagenaar (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, 22 September 2023. Sending in your application earlier is encouraged. Interviews will be held on Friday, 29 September and Thursday, 5 October.