Climate Ambition Accelerator
Get started setting ambitious, science-based emissions targets
Businesses have a critical role to play in the transition to a sustainable, climate-safe future. Robust and coherent emission reduction targets grounded in science can ensure their actions lead to the transformation we need. We are witnessing how corporate leaders are shifting gears and aligning strategies with a 1.5°C trajectory, because it makes business sense to do so.
The Climate Ambition Accelerator is a six-month accelerator programme for companies participating in the United Nations Global Compact who are looking to make progress towards setting science-based emissions targets and create a clear path to address their organization’s transition to net-zero.
Led by the United Nations Global Compact with support from Patrons Ørsted and Natura & Co, and sponsored by En+ Group, the Climate Ambition Accelerator aims to scale-up credible climate action across companies of all sizes, sectors, and regions, enabling them to deliver on meaningful commitments to reduce emissions at scale. The Climate Ambition Accelerator builds on the UN Global Compact’s work to develop and promote the Science Based Targets initiative, Business Ambition for 1.5°C campaign, and will contribute to initiatives such as the Race to Zero campaign.
Why join the Climate Ambition Accelerator?
Perhaps your company has not yet set emissions reduction targets, or you’ve created targets without using the science-based targets methodology and feel overwhelmed by the technical requirements involved. No matter where companies are in their sustainability journey, the Climate Ambition Accelerator will equip them with the knowledge and skills they need to accelerate progress towards setting science-based emissions targets aligned with the 1.5°C pathway.
Through the Global Compact Local Networks around the world, participating companies will gain access to global best practices, peer-to-peer learning opportunities, technical capacity building sessions and online self-learning modules. Participants benefits include:
- Gain a clear understanding of the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) and the net-zero concept, including methodologies, requirements, processes, benefits, and applicability.
- Hear from peers and share insights in group sessions.
- Take advantage of on-demand learning that enables you to work at your own pace.
- Get access to industry experts and networking opportunities.
- Benefit from local delivery combined with global insights and best practices.
Participants will learn:
- The methodology and approach of science-based targets (SBT) setting.
- How to motivate investors, corporate leadership, employees and shareholders to set and meet Science Based Targets.
- The foundational knowledge needed to set a solid strategy towards ambitious science-based targets.
- How to drive climate change ambition internally and build internal buy-in and engagement for ambitious climate action at the management and board level.
- How to manage their global emissions and the different emission reduction strategies and initiatives that they can implement to meet ambitious targets.
- How to reduce scope 1 and 2 emissions and engage their value chain to reduce indirect emissions (scope 3 emissions).
Participants in the programme will complete 3 modules
Take a deep dive into the methodology and approach of science-based targets (SBT) setting, from the basics to in-depth discussions about the net-zero concept for advanced stakeholders.
Drive climate change ambition internally and build internal buy-in and engagement for climate action at the management and board level.
Learn how to manage greenhouse gas emissions and implement different emission reduction strategies to meet ambitious targets.
INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING?
The Dutch Network will be delivering this programme at the local level with support from UN Global Compact Network UK, and therefore a limited number of companies will be invited to join from the UK Network. If you would like to learn more about the programme, please contact Marco Swan, Senior Program Manager.
- A participant of the UN Global Compact.
- Currently engaged with the UN Global Compact Local Network’s Netherlands or UK, or willing to join.
- Interested in setting ambitious reduction targets aligned with climate science at the pace and scale required to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement.
- Willing to appoint two representatives (one primary and one alternate representative) to participate in the accelerator activities and events. Ideally, the representative will be responsible for GHG emissions accounting, management and/or reporting (i.e., from Sustainability or Environmental departments).
- Willing to appoint an executive-level representative to follow accelerator developments, provide support, and participate in high-level events.
Programmatic timeline of the NL-UK track (AMS times)
- 30 April: Application Deadline
- 11 May, 11:00-12:15: Welcome Session (virtual)
- 1 June, 11:00-12:15: GHG Accounting: Scope 1, 2 and 3 Emissions (in-person @Malietoren)
- 20 June, 11:00-12:15: SBTi and Net Zero (virtual)
- 29 June, 11:00-12:15: GHG Accounting Practical Exercise (virtual)
- 12 September, 11:00-12:30: Peer-learning Session (in-person @Malietoren)
- 3 October, 11:00-12:15: Managing Scopes 1, 2 and 3 Emissions (virtual)
- 26 October, 11:00-13:00: Closing Session (in-person @Malietoren)
Disclaimer: Due to the nature of this programme, there is a limit to the number of participants that can join the programme. Please note that registration may close early if capacity is reached.