Target Gender Equality
Setting and meeting ambitious corporate targets for women’s representation & leadership
Target Gender Equality is a gender equality accelerator programme for participating companies of the UN Global Compact. Through facilitated performance analysis, capacity building workshops, peer-to-peer learning and multi-stakeholder dialogue at the country-level, Target Gender Equality will support companies engaged with the UN Global Compact in setting and reaching ambitious corporate targets for women’s representation and leadership, starting with the Board and Executive Management levels.
Companies participating in Target Gender Equality have the opportunity to deepen implementation of the Women’s Empowerment Principles and strengthen their contribution to Sustainable Development Goal 5.5, which calls for equal women representation, participation and leadership in business globally. Companies will be equipped with the latest data and research supporting the business case for gender equality and gain insights from UN partners and experts on how to accelerate progress on gender equality.
Confidently set ambitious and realistic corporate targets for gender equality demonstrating commitment and action to your employees, investors and other stakeholders
Understand your current gender equality performance through the facilitated use of the Women’s Empowerment Principles Gender Gap Analysis Tool
Engage in accelerated learning opportunities specific to your country context
Build a network of peers, UN partners and experts to support your gender equality strategy and work collectively to tackle persistent barriers to gender equality.
Showcase women in your company who are driving business success, sustainability and contributions to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
In order to take part In Target Gender Equality, companies are required to be participants of the UN Global Compact or willing to join, and meet the following criteria:
- Committed to learning about corporate target setting and taking actions to increase women’s representation and leadership in business
- Willing to appoint two representatives to participate in programme activities and events and an executive-level “Ambassador” to follow programme developments, provide support and participate in high-level events
- Currently engaged with a Global Compact Local Network or willing to join if required by the Network
The below programme will take place virtually in each country, complemented by further optional regional and global engagement opportunities.
- Performance Analysis and aggregate results discussions through the WEPs Gender Gap Analysis Tool
- Three capacity building work-shops:
- “Setting Targets & Defining Ambition”
- “Strategies for Success”
- “Measuring & Communicating Progress”
- An Action Planning Guide will support participants to apply learnings within their company’s context
- Learning opportunities through the UN Global Compact Academy
- Multi-stakeholder Action Dialogues to jointly advocate to raise the bar for gender equality
Any questions? Please contact us
Frequently asked questions
What is Target Gender Equality?
Target Gender Equality is an accelerator programme focused on supporting companies participating in the United Nations Global Compact in setting and meeting ambitious corporate targets to advance gender equality. This initiative is run in collaboration with Global Compact Local Networks.
What theme does Target Gender Equality focus on?
The programme calls for bold action to advance gender equality at all levels and across all areas of business. The capacity-building workshops are focused on supporting companies to set targets and develop enabling action to increase women’s representation and leadership. The programme takes a holistic approach and helps companies understand the various policies, practices and interventions that are needed to advance gender equality and achieve gender parity.
What are the benefits of participating for companies?
Companies participating in Target Gender Equality will be equipped with the research, network of partners and experts, and knowledge to confidently set and meet ambitious corporate targets for women’s representation and leadership in business. Participants will have the opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to measurable progress on gender equality to their employees, investors and other stakeholders and profile women in their organization who are driving business success, sustainability, and contributions towards the SDGs. Participants will also be invited to join an exclusive Target Gender Equality LinkedIn Group.
How will Target Gender Equality help my company meet its sustainability objectives and contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)?
Through Target Gender Equality, companies participating in the UN Global Compact will be challenged to assess their gender equality performance, set ambitious corporate targets and take action to address barriers to gender equality, both within their organization and their broader sphere of influence. In doing so, participants will:
- Demonstrate commitment to and implementation of the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact, in particular Principle 1 on human rights and Principle 6 on labour.
- Demonstrate alignment with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. In a recent report submitted to the Human Rights Council, the Working Group on the issue of human rights and transnational corporations and other business enterprises called for companies to set measurable targets, take measures to ensure equal representation of women in the workforce at all levels, and specifically recommended use of the Women’s Empowerment Principles Gender Gap Analysis Tool.
- Operationalize the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs). The WEPsare a joint initiative of the UN Global Compact and UN Women launched providing guidance to business on how to empower women in the workplace, marketplace and community. Among other things, the WEPs call for businesses to “assure sufficient participation of women – 30% or greater – in decision-making and governance at all levels and across all business areas.” Over 4,000 global business leaders have signed the CEO Statement of Support for the WEPs.
- Directly support the achievement of Goal 5 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Specifically, Goal 5.5 calls for women’s full participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making, including in economic life, by 2030.
- Create positive impact across the Sustainable Development Goals. Research shows that women’s leadership and economic empowerment is a catalyst for progress on a range of goals, from education (Goal 4) and health (Goal 3) to poverty alleviation (Goal 1) and climate action (Goal 13). π Strengthen their ESG performance. According to a meta analysis commissioned by the International Finance Corporation, there is a positive correlation between women’s representation in leadership and ESG performance.
How is Target Gender Equality related to the Women’s Empowerment Principles?
The Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) were launched by the UN Global Compact and UN Women in 2010 and have been signed by 4,000+ companies. They provide a holistic framework for business on how to empower women in the workplace, marketplace and community. The WEPs CEO Statement of Support provides an opportunity for business leaders to signal their support for gender equality. Target Gender Equality builds on and supports the objectives of the WEPs by helping companies set and meet ambitious targets for women’s representation and leadership in business – a key component of the WEPs. The WEPs will inform discussions and help companies navigate potential barriers and opportunities. Among other things, participants will use the WEPs Gender Gap Analysis Tool to get a holistic understanding of their gender equality performance and to assess current policies and practices. The WEPs CEO Statement sign-on process is managed by UN Women. Learn more here.